1 – Equality and Diversity Impact Statement
We are an equal opportunities employer and service provider. We are committed to equality of opportunity and to providing a service and following practices which are free from unfair and unlawful discrimination.
The aim of this statement is to ensure that no applicant, member of staff, self-employed contractors whether part time, full time or temporary, any services users will be treated fairly and with respect and do not receive less favourable treatment on the grounds of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation, or is disadvantaged by conditions or requirements which cannot be shown to be relevant to performance. It seeks also to ensure that no person is victimised or subjected to any form of bullying or harassment.
We value people as individuals with diverse opinions, cultures, lifestyles and circumstances. All employees, contractors, and any visitors on site (including member of the public) are covered by this policy. These areas are monitored and policies and practices are amended if necessary to ensure that no unfair or unlawful discrimination, intentional, unintentional, direct or indirect, overt or latent exists.
The Executive team and Senior Management have particular responsibility for implementing and monitoring the Equality and diversity policy and, as part of this process, all policies and procedures are administered with the objective of promoting equality of opportunity and eliminating unfair or unlawful discrimination. However, while specific responsibility for eliminating discrimination and providing equality of opportunity lies with managers and supervisors, individuals at all levels have a responsibility to treat others with dignity and respect.
The personal commitment of every employee to this statement and application of its principles are essential to eliminate discrimination and provide equality throughout the Company and as essential service provider for the Community we are serving.
Our commitment as an employer
The Company is committed to:
- creating an environment in which individual differences and the contributions of our staff are recognised and valued
- entitling every employee, worker or self-employed contractor to a working environment that promotes dignity and respect to all. No form of intimidation, bullying or harassment will be tolerated
- providing training, development and progression opportunities to all staff
- understanding equality in the workplace is good management practice and makes sound business sense
- reviewing all our employment practices and procedures to ensure fairness.
Our commitment as a service provider
The Company is committed to:
- providing services to which all member of the public we serve are entitled regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation, offending past, caring responsibilities or social class
- making sure our services are delivered equally and meet the diverse needs of our service users by assessing and meeting the diverse needs of our services users
- fully supporting this policy by senior management and ensuring agreement has been reached with employee representatives
- monitoring and reviewing this statement annually
- having clear procedures that enable our service users, candidates for jobs and employees to raise a grievance or make a complaint if they feel they have been unfairly treated
- treating breaches of our equality and diversity policy as misconduct which could lead to disciplinary proceedings
2 – Equal opportunity policy statements
- ensure that people of all ages are treated with respect and dignity
- ensure that people of working age are given equal access to our employment, training, development and promotion opportunities and
- challenge discriminatory assumptions about younger and older people.
- provide any reasonable adjustments to ensure disabled people have access to our services and employment opportunities
- challenge discriminatory assumptions about disabled people and
- seek to continue to improve access to information by ensuring availability of loop systems, braille facilities, alternative formatting and sign language interpretation.
- challenge racism wherever it occurs
- respond swiftly and sensitively to racists incidents and
- actively promote race equality in the Company.
- challenge discriminatory assumptions about women and men
- take positive action to redress the negative effects of discrimination against women and men
- offer equal access for women and men to representation, services, employment, training and pay and encourage other organisations to do the same and
- provide support to prevent discrimination against transsexual people who have or who are about to undergo gender reassignment.
- ensure that we take account of the needs of lesbians, gay men and bisexuals and
- promote positive images of lesbians, gay men and bisexuals.
Religion or belief
- ensure that employees’ religion or beliefs and related observances are respected and accommodated wherever possible and
- respect people’s beliefs where the expression of those beliefs does not impinge on the legitimate rights of others.
Pregnancy or maternity
- ensure that people are treated with respect and dignity and that a positive image is promoted regardless of pregnancy or maternity
- challenge discriminatory assumptions about the pregnancy or maternity of our employees and
- ensure that no individual is disadvantaged and that we take account of the needs of our employees’ pregnancy or maternity.
Marriage or civil partnership
ensure that people are treated with respect and dignity and that a positive image is promoted regardless of marriage or civil partnership;
challenge discriminatory assumptions about the marriage or civil partnership of our employees and
ensure that no individual is disadvantaged and that we take account the needs of our employees’ marriage or civil partnership.
We will ensure that all employees, male or female, have the right to the same contractual pay and benefits for carrying out the same work, work rated as equivalent work or work of equal value.
The Company recognises the dangers of unconscious bias arising at work and as service provider, which is where an opinion is formed on an individual by a manager a colleague, an employee without them necessarily being aware they have formed it.
There are many different forms of unconscious bias, ranging from an affinity towards those of a similar background to placing too much significance on what has been identified as a negative trait.
The organisation will work against forms of unconscious bias in all decisions taken for employment and as service provider with a focus on promoting diversity and inclusion.
In particular, the Company will implement the following:
- Omitting all personal questions from job interviews
- Consider request from our service users and try to accommodate when possible and in accordance with our Business and Safety requirements
- Maintaining a diverse panel to make decisions
- Referring to specific job criteria when making recruitment decisions
- Discounting any favourable personal relationships with staff.
- Making decisions collectively between HR and management.